This post presents the results of initial research into the possibilities of delaying or reversing the onset of cognitive decline that often leads onto Alzheimer’s and other dementia conditions.
If you have any comments that will enhance this initial research before conclusions are formed, please email them to email@example.com.
The complete initial research paper can be downloaded from Research on cognitive decline and Alzheimers^J update^J 220512
By Peter Senior, 12 May 2022
The objective: find out whether or not cognitive decline (CD), Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) and related effects can be slowed, reversed and/or prevented.
Hypothesis: the standard medical view that CD and AD can at best be partly alleviated and that the is no way to reverse it may be false, depending on the individual.
This paper comprises an initial list of key overall findings followed by a chronological list of specific findings that appear to be significant.
The most promising finding to date is Dr Dale Bredesen’s protocol; the first listed, together with several details of Dr Bredesen’s ReCODE protocol. A 52-minute video interview with Dr Bredesen, 4 September 2019, provides a comprehensive introduction, including his comment: “We’ve never seen a case of cognitive decline where there are less than 10 primary causes.” https://www.beingpatient.com/dale-bredesen-lifestyle-changes-prevent-alzheimers/. Several other areas of research show considerable promise.
Key findings to date
- Current status, 12 May 2022: Dr Mercola, update on FDA fast-track UB-311 Alzheimer vaccination and other research
- There is now ample compelling evidence that CD and AD can at least be delayed, sometimes reversed and often prevented by applying appropriate remedial actions.
- Dr Bredesen’s protocol, advice and life-style proposals demonstrate the most comprehensive and promising approach available at present.
- The sooner diagnosis and appropriate remedial actions are started, the sooner positive results will be achieved.
- Some of the largest organisations, including government and medical bodies, are the least optimistic, indicating little can be done to improve CD and AD. There is at least a suspicion that major organisations, including ‘Big Pharma’, are primarily interested in a single ‘magic pill’ that will greatly enhance their profits.
- If the causes of CD and AD are indeed multiple and personalized, as Dr Bredesen has demonstrated, the option of a universally effective single ‘magic pill’ would be excluded and could at best only be effective occasionally and randomly. Note: Dr Bredesen’s comment: “We’ve never seen a case of cognitive decline where there are less than 10 primary causes.”
- If there was such a treatment as the single cure-all ‘magic pill’, it surely would already have been discovered, developed, tested and widely marketed, most likely by one or more of the major international pharmaceutical companies.
- All significant official bodies and medical people and bodies associated with CD and AD recognise and warn about the massive dangers CD and AD presents for the future, including the current and fast-growing costs to countries for medical and care treatment.
- Several of articles, videos etc. noted in this paper contain a few aspects that are covered in Dr Bredesen’s protocol and life-style approach, but with few additions. A few, such as the well-known Dr Mercola (page 50), include reference to Dr Bredesen’s ReCODE protocol.
- Most of the single approach solutions offer minimal diagnosis or validation, but several indicate some significant successes in individual cases.
- All cases described by Dr Bredesen in his books as treated successfully exhibited major issues. None of the cases involved only mild issues. It is possible these mild cases would not exhibit the medical shortfalls revealed by Dr Bredesen’s ReCODE. However, the old adage ‘prevention is better than cure’ remains prescient.
- At this stage, no specialists have been identified in Australia that are able to, or wish to, fully apply the ReCODE protocol.
- Dr Bredesen’s ReCODE appears to parallel the stomach ulcer about-turn. In 1982 two Australian scientists upset medical dogma by proving a bacterium, helicobacter pylori, causes stomach inflammation, ulcers and cancer, and so won the 2005 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine yesterday. The findings went so against medical thinking that it took many years for an entrenched medical profession to accept it, even then, reluctantly. Possibly another such breakthrough is in the process of emerging for CD and AD?
- Dr Bredesen has released a new book now available on Amazon’s Kindle – the printed version will be available on 20 October 2020: The End of Alzheimer’s Programme: The Practical Plan to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline at Any Age.
- Dr Bredesen’s new book is another ‘must-read’. It is packed with practical approaches as well as explanations about how to treat CD and Alzheimers. As noted below, it would be wise for suffers and their carers to work with an empathetic doctor or other health professional in order to plan and apply a practical route through the very detailed and elaborate process recommended. But, again, Dr Bredesen’s approach is the only one available to date that is likely to treat CD and Alzheimers successfully.
- Bredesen latest video (78 minutes, 29 October 2020) is compelling viewing. Dr Bredesen discusses plasmalogens with Dr. Dayan Goodenowe, its effect on cognitive decline and effective remedial actions.
- It is strongly recommended that all people interested in the subject should view the 84-minutes video Broken Brian, 20 August 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6pETdb6hKE
- Also check the latest section Page 69 about the Aducanumab Debacle.
Further updates will be provided shortly.
Index of contents:
Page 4 – Current status: 12 May 2022: Dr Mercola, update on FDA fast-track UB-311 Alzheimer vaccination and other research
Page 4 – Dr Dale Bredesen: End of Alzheimer’s. Description of book, protocol and articles
Page 12 – Summary of key tests for ReCODE Protocol
Page 16 – Adam MacDougall, News.com (summary of Dr Bredesen’s work)
Page 20 – The Buck Institute for Research on Aging
Page 20 – MoCA brain test
Page 20 – Brian exercises
Page 20 – Souvenaid
Page 20 – MCT oil
Page 20 – Ashwagandha, an Indian herb
Page 20 – The APOE gene
Page 20 – Redimind mixture / tonic (Nutreance)
Page 22 – Mayo Clinic
Page 22 – Webmd.com
Page 22 – National Institute of Aging
Page 22 – Dementia.org
Page 23 – Alzheimer’s Natural Treatment Options, Dr Josh Axe
Page 23 – New Scientist article
Page 23 – UK National Health
Page 25 – UCLA research May 2017
Page 25 – Natural News article
Page 27 – ScienceAlert.com article
Page 28 – ScienceDaily.com (2 articles)
Page 28 – Harvard Medical School
Page 29 – NCBI National Centre for Biological Information
Page 30 – Medical News Today – article
Page 30 – TED video
Page 30 – Dietician Amylee Amos
Page 31 – 7th BioCeuticals Research Symposium, May 2019
Page 31 – YouTube TED talk, Oct 17, 2015:
Alzheimer’s Is Not Normal Aging — And We Can Cure It
Page 31 – Collective Evolution, 2018 article
Page 32 – The Neuro Development Centre, Providence, Rhone Island, USA
Page 34 – Life Extension
Page 37 – Alzheimers Association
Page 38 – UC Berkeley School of Public Health
Page 38 – World Health Organisation (WHO)
Page 38 – Emory University – ADRC Research Centre
Page 39 – Wikipedia
Page 40 – Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, US Dept of Health
Page 40 – FamilyDoctor.org
Page 41 – Functional Medicine Coaching Academy (training for Dr Bredesen’s protocol)
Page 43 – SharpAgainNaturally
Page 44 – Healing Advocates
Page 44 – Curing Alzheimer’s with Science and Song, 25 min video
Page 45 – MCT and coconut oil
Page 45 – Dementia is preventable through lifestyle. Start now
Page 46 – The latest news on Alzheimer’s disease and brain health research
Page 46 – Biogen Revives Aducanumab
Page 46 – MIT Scientists Reveal Brain Rhythm Role In Alzheimer’s Research
Page 47 – The End of Alzheimer’s, 67-minute interview, Dr Michael Fossel
Page 47 – Keto-nutrition, Dr Dominic D’Agostino
Page 48 – The link between diet, exercise and Alzheimer’s
Page 49 – Diagnosing Alzheimer’s Disease
Page 49 – What is Alzheimer disease? A simple explanation
Pages 49-51 Eight articles that explain how meditation can improve mental health
Page 51 – Cacao, a power drug for the brain
Page 52 – Harvard Medical School. Is my forgetfulness normal?
Page 54 – Analysis by Dr Joseph Mercola, 7 November 2019
Page 55 – Eat more citrus fruits & cucumbers, NaturalNews.com
Page 55 – Benefits of Ashwagandha
Page 55 – Distributed memory: the brain in the heart
Page 56 – Biogen aducanumab
Page 56 – Sound Therapy
Page 57 – Drugs That Quell Brain Inflammation Reverse Dementia
Page 57 – How to Slow Aging (and even reverse it)
Page 57 – Another Alzheimer’s Vaccine Moves Closer to Human Trials
Page 58 – Biogen Plans to Buy Early-Stage Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s Treatment
Page 59 – How Flavonols, Found in Fruit and Tea, Can Stave Off Alzheimer’s
Page 60 – A non-invasive ultrasound technology
Page 60 – The Neuroprotective Effects of Astaxanthin
Page 561 – Viruses and Bacteria Change Our Brains. What Can That Teach Us About Alzheimer’s?
Page 62 – ‘Three little pigs’: Musk’s Neuralink puts computer chips in animal brains
Page 63 – User Reviews & Ratings – donepezil oral
Page 63 – Colloidal Silver as a cure for many diseases, possibly Alzheimers
Page 64 – Anticholinergics Can Quadruple Cognitive Decline Risk
Page 66 – UCalgary lab identifies a way to interrupt progression of Alzheimers
Page 67 – Link Between Alzheimer’s and Gut Confirmed
Page 69 – Far Reaching Implications of the Aducanumab Debacle, 19 June 2021
(Analysis, Conclusions and Summary – to come)
Dr Mercola, update on FDA fast-track UB-311 Alzheimer vaccination and other research
By Dr Joseph Mercola
The following summarises Dr Mercola’s assessment and notes other recent research and findings. The full paper can be viewed at the link below.
fda-fast-tracks-alzheimers-vaccine-10 May 2022.pdf
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted fast-track designation to UB-311, a vaccine for Alzheimer’s disease made by biotechnology company Vaxxinity
- Aside from the potential problems that can arise when a vaccine is rushed to market, the vaccine may be problematic from the get-go because amyloid beta may be a symptom of Alzheimer’s, not the cause
- Researchers have even suggested that amyloid beta is a response to neuronal stress, one that functions as a protective adaptation to the disease ?
- Fast-tracking a vaccine that’s targeting an isolated element of Alzheimer’s disease that is not the underlying cause is destined to be a massive disaster ?
- Overall, nourishing your brain health is best done with a comprehensively healthy lifestyle, including the use of exercise, ketogenic diet, time-restricted eating, optimized vitamin D and other hormones, increased sleep, meditation, detoxification and elimination of gluten and processed food
It is strongly recommended that all people interested in the subject should view the 84-minutes video Broken Brian dated 20 August 2020: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6pETdb6hKE
– Why amyloid plaque is not the cause of Alzheimer’s (13:37)
– Cognitive decline and nocturnal oxygen desaturation (16:59)
– The global statistics on Alzheimer’s and cognitive decline (18:39)
– How brain changes can be detected 20 years before Alzheimer’s symptoms are evident (22:38)
– How toxic exposure can lead to cognitive decline (44:26)
– What you can do today to prevent cognitive decline (54:43)
– Where to learn more about Dr. Bredesen (1:22:17)
Dr. Bredesen is on Instagram @drdalebredesen, on Facebook @drdalebredesen, on Twitter @drdalebredesen, and his website is https://www.apollohealthco.com. Also mentioned in this episode: – Cognoscopy – https://www.apollohealthco.com/soluti… – https://www.apoe4.info
Dr Dale Bredesen’s second book:
THE END OF ALZHEIMER’S PROGRAMME The Practical Plan to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline at Any Age.
This second book follows on and expands on Dr Bredesen’s first book discussed at length below. It both complements and provides considerable new material focused on practical ways to detect causative issues and how to treat them. The book is only available on Amazon Kindle until the printed version is available on October 20 2020.
Some reviews on Amazon provide valuable comment on this book that also reflect the conclusions of the writer of this research paper:
This is a comprehensive follow up to Dr Bredesen’s last book. It’s inspiring and concise, even if the list of different tests to take seems long. Another review suggests the book’s recommendations are too difficult to put into practice. I understand where he’s coming from, but it really is worth a go – you might notice quite big changes from smaller portions of meat, or more olive oil, or cutting the carbs, or mixing up your veg, or taking curcumin, or… the list goes on.
Dr Bredesen’s excellent new book follows on from his last book in cementing the fact that Alzheimer’s is treatable for most people, especially in the early stages. Dr Bredesen is leading the charge in a revolution that will save the lives of millions. Every person who has had an Alzheimer’s diagnosis in the family must read this book, their journey of despair will become a journey of hope and, if they act on the book’s recommendations, very likely a journey to success. Dr Bredesen has saved my wife’s life, what more can I say?
This book should be a required reading material for every single human being! If you haven’t read this book, buy it, read it, implement the suggestions, and then buy and gift the book to others. I own Dr Bredesen’s first book but this one is just amazing- a summary of everything one should do.
An important conclusion too is that the book has such a myriad of information – some simple, others very complex, that it is impossible to take in on first reading. To apply all recommendations would be a full-time job. It would be wise, as recommended in the book, to gain the confidence and assistance of a doctor who has an open mind and is keen to explore where the medical profession is mostly stuck in a negative rut – as described in the Key Findings to Date, above. This doctor, or knowledgeable medical person, should be able to help navigate the maze of information and organise a practical path for both the carer and person suffering from cognitive decline or Alzheimers. Or for the person who wants to apply practical preventative measures before the onset of cognitive decline or Alzheimers.
The Epilogue is copied in full at the end of this research paper. Some key points that should be carefully absorbed are:
- When I was taught medicine, we studied, we practised, and we taught end-stage medicine—we learned and looked for signs of cancer metastasis and heart failure and dementia that were years down the road from when we should be identifying and treating the associated conditions. As I look back on all of this, it is discomfiting to recall how bad it was.
- We need such a [new] movement now to effect a tectonic shift in health—the way we think about it, learn it, practise it, and benefit from it.
- The twenty-first century will see the virtual end to the scourges of Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Lewy body disease, multiple sclerosis, autism, schizophrenia, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, ulcerative colitis, and other complex chronic illnesses.
- Thus the road map is clear. We know what to look for in each person, we know how to identify the contributors, we know how to deal with each one. Now we need to enact it, perfect it, and scale it.
- Fixing cognition will become as routine as straightening teeth
- Each one of us is a unique, N-of-1 experiment. May your experiment be successful, fulfilling, joyous, and lasting.