Scroll down to read the most recent articles; links to previous articles follow.
- Alarmism in New Zealand By Dr Muriel Newman, NZCPR.com, 25 July 2020
- Sorry for misleading you, but I cried wolf on climate change By Michael Shellenberger, The Australian, 1 July 2020
- The Sun Has Gone Into Lockdown By Michael Snyder, 19 May 2020
- Switzerland’s environmental agency announces national moratorium on 5G By Michael Alexander, Natural News, 20 February 2020
Alarmism in New Zealand
Alarmism in New Zealand By Dr Muriel Newman, NZCPR.com, 25 July 2020
Fear is a natural survival instinct and arguably more motivating than logic and reason. It can also be used to great effect to shift the mindset of communities and nations.
While such manipulation is, of course, not uncommon, what is surprising is how blind societies are to recognising when fear is being used as a tool for political persuasion.
We recently saw this in the Government’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic when the Prime Minister used alarmist computer modelling to justify her “Captain’s Call” to lock the country down.
Claiming “tens of thousands of New Zealanders” could die, the PM rejected Ministry of Health advice to stay at Level 2 for 30 days, and imposed what we now know to be the most stringent policy response in the world.
Instead of relying on cost benefit analyses and regulatory impact statements from trusted government agencies to inform her decisions, the PM chose inaccurate computer models that grossly exaggerated the number of deaths.
It has now been revealed that the modelling she relied on did not take into account the contact testing and tracing that was central to the health response being implemented by Dr Ashley Bloomfield, the Director General of Health.
The explosion of predicted deaths that resulted, was then used by the PM to scare the country into accepting her hard-line lockdown.
This is not the first time the Prime Minister has used scaremongering to force her policy agenda onto the country. Her whole response to climate change has been based on fear.
Climate change is, of course, a natural process influenced by a wide range of factors including the sun, clouds, and ocean currents. Throughout history, the Earth’s climate has been far hotter than it is today and far colder. Sea levels have been far higher and far lower. Carbon dioxide – the trace gas used by plants to manufacture food – has existed at far higher atmospheric concentrations and far lower.
But the United Nations’ climate models that are being used to redefine economic policy around the world, only focus on the minuscule proportion of carbon emissions produced by humans. In doing so, they disregard not only the 97 percent of carbon dioxide produced from natural sources, but also the overwhelming influence that other crucial factors such as the sun have on the climate.
These alarmist models, which blame climate change on humans, are being used by politicians – including our Prime Minister – to implement the UN’s socialist agenda: state control of all economic activity through the regulation of carbon emissions.
Fortunately, most scams motivated by scaremongering are eventually exposed – often by the very people who pioneered the movements before they were captured by political extremists.
This week’s NZCPR Guest Commentator Michael Shellenberger is a leading American climate activist, who, having promoted global warming propaganda for almost three decades, has decided to stop the lies:
“On behalf of environmentalists everywhere, I would like to formally apologize for the climate scare we created over the last 30 years. Climate change is happening. It’s just not the end of the world. It’s not even our most serious environmental problem.
“Here are some facts few people know: Humans are not causing a ‘sixth mass extinction’; Climate change is not making natural disasters worse; Netherlands became rich not poor while adapting to life below sea level; Habitat loss and the direct killing of wild animals are bigger threats to species than climate change; Wood fuel is far worse for people and wildlife than fossil fuels…
“I know that the above facts will sound like ‘climate denialism’ to many people. But that just shows the power of climate alarmism.”
Michael Shellenberger explains how difficult it has been to speak out against the climate scare:
“I was embarrassed. After all, I am as guilty of alarmism as any other environmentalist. For years, I referred to climate change as an ‘existential’ threat to human civilization, and called it a ‘crisis’.
“But mostly I was scared. I remained quiet about the climate disinformation campaign because I was afraid of losing friends and funding. The few times I summoned the courage to defend climate science from those who misrepresent it I suffered harsh consequences. And so I mostly stood by and did next to nothing as my fellow environmentalists terrified the public…
“But then, last year, things spiralled out of control. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said ‘The world is going to end in twelve years if we don’t address climate change.’ Britain’s most high-profile environmental group claimed ‘Climate Change Kills Children…
“As a result, half of the people surveyed around the world last year said they thought climate change would make humanity extinct. And in January, one out of five British children told pollsters they were having nightmares about climate change. Whether or not you have children you must see how wrong this is. I admit I may be sensitive because I have a teenage daughter. After we talked about the science she was reassured. But her friends are deeply misinformed and thus, understandably, frightened. I thus decided I had to speak out.”
While Michael Shellenberger deserves credit for speaking out and exposing the misrepresentation, those activists who lie should be held to account – particularly by the media. It is therefore regrettable that so many in the media have decided their interests are better served by aligning with the popularists, rather than adhering to the bedrock values of their profession.
Prime amongst New Zealand’s serial alarmists is the Green Party’s Climate Change Minister James Shaw. Not only does he knowingly describe carbon dioxide – the cornerstone of life on earth – as a “pollutant”, but he also continues to claim that as a result of climate change, adverse weather events are getting worse, which is another alarmist fabrication that is simply untrue.
But as the late Stephen Schneider, a Stanford University Professor who had been a lead author for the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change explained, for advocates of climate alarmism the truth is not a priority: “…we need to get some broad based support, to capture the public’s imagination. That entails getting loads of media coverage. So we have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we might have. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest.”
Fearmongering, of course, has been an effective tool to manipulate the public throughout history.
The myth that population growth will deplete food and resources, and ultimately destroy the planet, can be traced back to the writing of the Reverend Thomas Malthus in 1798.
These idea gained unprecedented traction following the 1968 release of The Population Bomb by Paul Ehrlich, an entomologist at Stanford University. The book incited such fear of overpopulation that it triggered waves of repression around the world.
The facts, however, tell a different story. Population growth has been slowing for more than three decades. Forty years ago, while the average woman had between five and six children to ensure the survival of the next generation, she now has between two and three. Women are having fewer children because better healthcare means that most babies now live to grow up. As a result, half of the world is already below the long-term replacement level.
Concerns over ‘peak oil’ have also been in and out of vogue over recent decades. Driven by the theory that the world would run out of oil, the reality is that scarcity has been the result of geopolitical disruption rather than resource depletion.
The Club of Rome, an Italian-based think tank established in 1965, investigated resource scarcity in their highly influential book The Limits to Growth. Using computer modelling, they forecast apocalyptic economic and environmental disaster.
Ironically, it has now become clear that, contrary to what they were predicting, the best way to improve humanity and the environment is through more growth, not less. As countries improve their living standards, so too they improve social, economic and environmental wellbeing. It is the resourcefulness of free markets to innovate and maximise the efficient use of resources that results in a progressive improvement in living standards.
What is also bizarre is that while in the 1970s climate computer models predicted that the burning of fossil fuels would trigger another ice age, nowadays they are claiming the exact opposite – that the burning of fossil fuels will cause the planet to dangerously overheat.
This contradiction has not stopped our politicians – with fossil fuels identified as the villain, their policy response of an increasing carbon levy, has effectively imposed socialist state control over all economic activity.
When the Prime Minister and Climate Change Minister introduced their Zero Carbon Act last year, they boasted about imposing the harshest restrictions on carbon emissions of any country in the world. Then last month, they amended the Emissions Trading Scheme to cap carbon emissions, causing the price of carbon to jump from around $25 a tonne to $33.
At $25, New Zealander motorists were paying an ETS levy of around 4c for every litre of petrol they bought. At $33, the levy is now around 7 cents a litre, and at $35, it will be around 9c a litre. Such price hikes will flow right through the economy, increasing the cost of living.
The Climate Change Minister expects carbon prices will go much higher.
Meanwhile the price of carbon has had a major impact on vegetable affordability, especially tomatoes. With hothouses no longer economical in some areas, local growers are being forced to close. As a result, New Zealanders will see an increase in produce imported from countries with no carbon costs.
With the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change specifying that measures introduced to enable countries to meet their carbon targets must not reduce food production, Minister Shaw is clearly breaking the rules.
Governments can only get away with imposing socialist control under the guise of climate change because of their scaremongering. Endlessly claiming that burning fossil fuels is causing dangerous global warming, they promote renewable energy as the only sustainable alternative.
In a controversial new film, Planet of the Humans, which climate activists have tried to ban, filmmaker Michael Moore provides a devastating indictment of the renewable energy scam, explaining it is not clean, green, nor sustainable, but is more destructive than the energy sources it seeks to replace.
The film shows how wind, solar and biofuel projects destroy wildlife habitats, rare and endangered species, and millions of acres of forests, deserts and grasslands.
It exposes bogus claims about the benefits of renewable energy and explains that electricity for a small city of 50,000 households requires 15 square miles of solar panels, along with wind turbines, and a huge array of batteries – or a coal or gas power plant – for nights and cloudy days.
Paul Driessen, a senior policy analyst for the Committee For A Constructive Tomorrow has reviewed the film and describes the turbines: “Each one is comprised of nearly 5,000,000 pounds of concrete, steel, aluminum, copper, plastic, cobalt, rare earths, fiberglass and other materials. Every step in the mining, processing, manufacturing, transportation, installation, maintenance and (20 years later) removal process requires fossil fuels. It bears repeating: wind and sun are renewable and sustainable; harnessing them for energy to benefit mankind absolutely is not.”
While some of the film’s conclusions are questionable, Michael Moore raises concerns about the merits of alternative energy that alarmists have conveniently ignored: “We’re basically being fed a lie.” Maybe we’d be “better off just burning fossil fuels in the first place,” than doing all of this.
Although dissenting voices are not yet dominating the debate about climate alarmism, there is enough concern for political leaders to stop the headlong rush into policy extremism and exercise some common sense judgement.
With New Zealand already struggling to recover from the harsh lockdown, the last thing this country needs is climate policy based on scaremongering to undermine our fragile economic recovery.
Sorry for misleading you, but I cried wolf on climate change
Sorry for misleading you, but I cried wolf on climate change By Michael Shellenberger, The Australian, 1 July 2020
I have been a climate activist for 20 years but on behalf of environmentalists everywhere, I would like to formally apologise for the climate scare we created.
On behalf of environmentalists everywhere, I would like to formally apologise for the climate scare we created over the past 30 years. Climate change is happening. It’s just not the end of the world. It’s not even our most serious environmental problem.
I may seem like a strange person to be saying all of this. I have been a climate activist for 20 years and an environmentalist for 30.
But as an energy expert asked by the US congress to provide objective testimony, and invited by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change to serve as a reviewer of its next assessment report, I feel an obligation to apologise for how badly we environmentalists have misled the public.
Here are some facts few people know: Humans are not causing a “sixth mass extinction”;
The Amazon is not “the lungs of the world”;
Climate change is not making natural disasters worse;
Fires have declined 25 per cent around the world since 2003;
The amount of land we use for meat — humankind’s biggest use of land — has declined by an area nearly as large as Alaska;
The author’s new book.
The build-up of wood fuel and more houses near forests, not climate change, explain why there are more, and more dangerous, fires in Australia and California;
Carbon emissions are declining in most rich nations and have been declining in Britain, Germany and France since the mid-1970s;
The Netherlands became rich, not poor, while adapting to life below sea level;
We produce 25 per cent more food than we need and food surpluses will continue to rise as the world gets hotter;
Habitat loss and the direct killing of wild animals are bigger threats to species than climate change;
Wood fuel is far worse for people and wildlife than fossil fuels;
Preventing future pandemics requires more, not less, “industrial” agriculture.
I know the above facts will sound like “climate denialism” to many people. But that just shows the power of climate alarmism. In reality, the above facts come from the best-available scientific studies, including those conducted by or accepted by the IPCC, the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations, the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and other leading scientific bodies.
Some people will, when they read this, imagine that I’m some right-wing anti-environmentalist. I’m not. At 17, I lived in Nicaragua to show solidarity with the Sandinista socialist revolution. At 23 I raised money for Guatemalan women’s co-operatives. In my early 20s I lived in the semi-Amazon doing research with small farmers fighting land invasions. At 26 I helped expose poor conditions at Nike factories in Asia.
I became an environmentalist at 16 when I threw a fundraiser for Rainforest Action Network. At 27 I helped save the last unprotected ancient redwoods in California. In my 30s I advocated renewables and successfully helped persuade the Obama administration to invest $US90bn into them. Over the past few years I helped save enough nuclear plants from being replaced by fossil fuels to prevent a sharp increase in emissions.
But until last year, I mostly avoided speaking out against the climate scare. Partly that’s because I was embarrassed. After all, I am as guilty of alarmism as any other environmentalist. For years, I referred to climate change as an “existential” threat to human civilisation, and called it a “crisis”.
But mostly I was scared. I remained quiet about the climate disinformation campaign because I was afraid of losing friends and funding. The few times I summoned the courage to defend climate science from those who misrepresent it I suffered harsh consequences. And so I mostly stood by and did next to nothing as my fellow environmentalists terrified the public.
I even stood by as people in the White House and many in the media tried to destroy the reputation and career of an outstanding scientist, good man, and friend of mine, Roger Pielke Jr, a lifelong progressive Democrat and environmentalist who testified in favour of carbon regulations. Why did they do that? Because his research proves natural disasters aren’t getting worse. But then, last year, things spiralled out of control. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said: “The world is going to end in 12 years if we don’t address climate change.” Britain’s most high-profile environmental group claimed “climate change kills children”.
The world’s most influential green journalist, Bill McKibben, called climate change the “greatest challenge humans have ever faced” and said it would “wipe out civilisations”. Mainstream journalists reported, repeatedly, that the Amazon was “the lungs of the world”, and that deforestation was like a nuclear bomb going off.
As a result, half of the people surveyed around the world last year said they thought climate change would make humanity extinct. And in January, one out of five British children told pollsters they were having nightmares about climate change.
Whether or not you have children you must see how wrong this is. I admit I may be sensitive because I have a teenage daughter. After we talked about the science she was reassured. But her friends are deeply misinformed and thus, understandably, frightened.
I thus decided I had to speak out. I knew that writing a few articles wouldn’t be enough. I needed a book to properly lay out all of the evidence. And so my formal apology for our fearmongering comes in the form of my new book, Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All.
Carbon emissions are declining in most rich nations and have been declining in Britain, Germany and France since the mid-1970s.
It is based on two decades of research and three decades of environmental activism. At 400 pages, with 100 of them endnotes, Apocalypse Never covers climate change, deforestation, plastic waste, species extinction, industrialisation, meat, nuclear energy, and renewables.
Some highlights from the book:
- Factories and modern farming are the keys to human liberation and environmental progress.
- The most important thing for saving the environment is producing more food, particularly meat, on less land.
- The most important thing for reducing pollution and emissions is moving from wood to coal to petrol to natural gas to uranium.
- 100 per cent renewables would require increasing the land used for energy from today’s 0.5 per cent to 50 per cent.
- We should want cities, farms, and power plants to have higher, not lower, power densities.
- Vegetarianism reduces one’s emissions by less than 4 per cent.
- Greenpeace didn’t save the whales — switching from whale oil to petroleum and palm oil did.
- “Free-range” beef would require 20 times more land and produce 300 per cent more emissions.
- Greenpeace dogmatism worsened forest fragmentation of the Amazon.
- The colonialist approach to gorilla conservation in the Congo produced a backlash that may have resulted in the killing of 250 elephants.
Why were we all so misled? In the final three chapters of Apocalypse Never I expose the financial, political and ideological motivations. Environmental groups have accepted hundreds of millions of dollars from fossil fuel interests. Groups motivated by anti-humanist beliefs forced the World Bank to stop trying to end poverty and instead make poverty “sustainable”. And status anxiety, depression and hostility to modern civilisation are behind much of the alarmism.
The most important thing for reducing pollution and emissions is moving from wood to coal to petrol to natural gas to uranium.
Once you realise just how badly misinformed we have been, often by people with plainly unsavoury motivations, it is hard not to feel duped. Will Apocalypse Never make any difference? There are certainly reasons to doubt it. The news media have been making apocalyptic pronouncements about climate change since the late 1980s, and do not seem disposed to stop. The ideology behind environmental alarmism — Malthusianism — has been repeatedly debunked for 200 years and yet is more powerful than ever.
But there are also reasons to believe that environmental alarmism will, if not come to an end, have diminishing cultural power.
A real crisis
The coronavirus pandemic is an actual crisis that puts the climate “crisis” into perspective. Even if you think we have overreacted, COVID-19 has killed nearly 500,000 people [Editor’s note 1: There is compelling evidence this figure is grossly inflated due to dubious practices and methods of measuring] and shattered economies around the globe [Editor’s note 2: It is the related governmental regulations that have ‘shattered economies around the world’, not COVID-19].
Scientific institutions including WHO and IPCC have undermined their credibility through the repeated politicisation of science. Their future existence and relevance depends on new leadership and serious reform. Facts still matter, and social media is allowing for a wider range of new and independent voices to outcompete alarmist environmental journalists at legacy publications.
Nations are reverting openly to self-interest and away from Malthusianism and neoliberalism, which is good for nuclear and bad for renewables.
The evidence is overwhelming that our high-energy civilisation is better for people and nature than the low-energy civilisation that climate alarmists would return us to.
Greenpeace didn’t save the whales — switching from whale oil to petroleum and palm oil did.
The invitations from IPCC and congress are signs of a growing openness to new thinking about climate change and the environment. Another one has been to the response to my book from climate scientists, conservationists and environmental scholars. “Apocalypse Never is an extremely important book,” writes Richard Rhodes, the Pulitzer-winning author of The Making of the Atomic Bomb. “This may be the most important book on the environment ever written,” says one of the fathers of modern climate science, Tom Wigley.
“We environmentalists condemn those with antithetical views of being ignorant of science and susceptible to confirmation bias,” wrote the former head of The Nature Conservancy, Steve McCormick. “But too often we are guilty of the same. Shellenberger offers ‘tough love’: a challenge to entrenched orthodoxies and rigid, self-defeating mindsets. Apocalypse Never serves up occasionally stinging, but always well-crafted, evidence-based points of view that will help develop the ‘mental muscle’ we need to envision and design not only a hopeful, but an attainable, future.”
That is all I hoped for in writing it. If you’ve made it this far, I hope you’ll agree it’s perhaps not as strange as it seems that a lifelong environmentalist and progressive felt the need to speak out against the alarmism. I further hope that you’ll accept my apology.
Michael Shellenberger is president of Environmental Progress, an independent research and policy organisation. He is the author of Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All, published by Harper Collins
The Sun “Has Gone Into Lockdown”
The Sun Has Gone Into Lockdown By Michael Snyder, 19 May 2020
The Sun “Has Gone Into Lockdown”, And This Strange Behavior Could Worsen Global Food Shortages
At a time when the world is already being hit with major crisis after major crisis, our sun is behaving in ways that we have never seen before. For as long as records have been kept, the sun has never been quieter than it has been in 2019 and 2020, and as you will see below we are being warned that we have now entered “a very deep solar minimum”. Unfortunately, other very deep solar minimums throughout history have corresponded with brutally cold temperatures and horrific global famines, and of course this new solar minimum comes at a time when the United Nations is already warning that we are on the verge of “biblical” famines around the world. So we better hope that the sun wakes up soon, because the alternative is almost too horrifying to talk about.
Without the sun, life on Earth could not exist, and so the fact that it is behaving so weirdly right now should be big news.
Sadly, most mainstream news outlets are largely ignoring this story, but at least a few are covering it. The following comes from Forbes…
While we on Earth suffer from coronavirus, our star—the Sun—is having a lockdown all of its own. Spaceweather.com reports that already there have been 100 days in 2020 when our Sun has displayed zero sunspots.
That makes 2020 the second consecutive year of a record-setting low number of sunspots— which you can see (a complete absence of) here.
And here is what the New York Post is saying…
Our sun has gone into lockdown, which could cause freezing weather, earthquakes and famine, scientists say.
The sun is currently in a period of “solar minimum,” meaning activity on its surface has fallen dramatically.
Experts believe we are about to enter the deepest period of sunshine “recession” ever recorded as sunspots have virtually disappeared.
Yes, covering COVID-19 is important, but the fact that scientists are warning that we are potentially facing “freezing weather, earthquakes and famine” should be deeply alarming for all of us.
And since the mainstream media has been largely silent on this crisis, most Americans don’t even know that it exists.
Last year, there were no sunspots at all 77 percent of the time, and so far this year there have been no sunspots at all 76 percent of the time…
“This is a sign that solar minimum is underway,” reads SpaceWeather.com. “So far this year, the Sun has been blank 76% of the time, a rate surpassed only once before in the Space Age. Last year, 2019, the Sun was blank 77% of the time. Two consecutive years of record-setting spotlessness adds up to a very deep solar minimum, indeed.”
So why is this such a big deal?
Well, every once in a while a very deep solar minimum that lasts for several decades comes along, and when our planet has experienced such periods in the past the consequences have been quite dramatic.
For example, the New York Post is claiming that NASA scientists fear that we could potentially be facing “a repeat of the Dalton Minimum”…
NASA scientists fear it could be a repeat of the Dalton Minimum, which happened between 1790 and 1830 — leading to periods of brutal cold, crop loss, famine and powerful volcanic eruptions.
Temperatures plummeted by up to 2 degrees Celsius (3.6 degrees Fahrenheit) over 20 years, devastating the world’s food production.
Even worse would be a repeat of the Maunder Minimum which stretched from 1645 to 1715. It came as the globe was already in the midst of “the Little Ice Age”, and it caused harvest failures and famines all over the globe…
The Maunder Minimum is the most famous cold period of the Little Ice Age. Temperatures plummeted in Europe (Figs. 14.3–14.7), the growing season became shorter by more than a month, the number of snowy days increased from a few to 20–30, the ground froze to several feet, alpine glaciers advanced all over the world, glaciers in the Swiss Alps encroached on farms and buried villages, tree-lines in the Alps dropped, sea ports were blocked by sea ice that surrounded Iceland and Holland for about 20 miles, wine grape harvests diminished, and cereal grain harvests failed, leading to mass famines (Fagan, 2007). The Thames River and canals and rivers of the Netherlands froze over during the winter (Fig. 14.3). The population of Iceland decreased by about half. In parts of China, warm-weather crops that had been grown for centuries were abandoned. In North America, early European settlers experienced exceptionally severe winters.
Of course this would be an exceptionally bad time for such a cataclysmic climate shift, because African Swine Fever has already wiped out approximately one-fourth of all the pigs in the world, colossal armies of locusts the size of major cities are systematically wiping out crops across much of Africa, the Middle East and Asia, and fear of COVID-19 is greatly disrupting global food supply chains.
In fact, it is being reported that widespread shutdowns of meat processing facilities in the United States may force farmers to euthanize “as many as 10 million hogs by September”…
U.S. pork farmers may be forced to euthanize as many as 10 million hogs by September as a result of production-plant shutdowns brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, according to the National Pork Producers Council.
At least 14,000 reported positive COVID-19 cases have been connected to meatpacking facilities in at least 181 plants in 31 states as of May 13, and at least 54 meatpacking facility workers have died of the virus at 30 plants in 18 states, according to an investigation by the Midwest Center for Investigative reporting.
Even if the sun suddenly started acting perfectly normal once again, we would still be facing what the UN is calling “the worst humanitarian crisis since World War Two”.
Global food supplies are getting tighter with each passing day, and many are warning that some areas of the globe will soon be dealing with severe food shortages.
What we really need are a few years of really good growing weather, but the behaviour of the sun may not make that possible.
So let’s keep a very close eye on the giant ball of fire that we are revolving around, because if it remains very quiet that could mean big trouble for all of us.
Switzerland’s environmental agency announces national moratorium on 5G
Switzerland’s environmental agency announces national moratorium on 5G By Michael Alexander, Natural News, 20 February 2020
Telecommunications companies will not be rolling out 5G towers in several Swiss cantons or regions after the Swiss Federal Office for the Environment or Das Bundesamt für Umwelt (Bafu) placed an indefinite moratorium on the network’s use over potential health concerns.
In its moratorium, Bafu said it cannot yet provide universal criteria without further testing of the impact of 5G radiation on human health.
According to the agency, the moratorium will stay in place as they examine and monitor extensively the effects of 5G exposure through adaptive antennas in “real-world operational conditions,” adding that “this work will take some time”.
International newspaper The Financial Times first broke the story.
However, according to a statement sent by a representative to Mobile World Live, Bafu said that these letters did not contain any recommendation to stop the permitting of 5G base stations, but rather, only sets out how the country’s cantons can proceed with the permitting of 5G and adaptive antennas until enforcement aid on the structures is available.
In the same statement, the Bafu representative noted that several cantons and municipalities had already imposed moratoria on 5G, but added that these do “not affect Switzerland in general”.
Among the cantons that voluntarily imposed moratoria on 5G towers because of uncertainty over health risks are Geneva, Vaud, Jura and Neuchâtel.
The apprehension regarding the new 5G communication technology — which proponents say will eventually be used to support everything from driverless cars to even virtual reality — stems from the fact that individuals will be exposed to more concentrated radiation beams.
Swisscom, the country’s largest mobile operator, maintains that while it understands “the fears often expressed about new technologies,” there is no evidence that 5G radiation affects human health.
Despite Swisscom’s statement, however, the Swiss Medical Association still advised caution on 5G, noting that there are still unanswered questions regarding the technology’s potential to cause damage.
Medical journal The Lancet has published a report questioning the validity of current safety standards, which are based on the guidelines of the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection and Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers first established in the 1990s. As noted in the Lancet report, these standards assume that only the acute thermal effects of radiofrequency electromagnetic radiation are hazardous.
In her report, however, author Priyanka Bandara points to research suggesting the damage goes beyond these thermal effects, noting that radiation might alter human brain metabolism, electrical activity in the brain and immune responses. Bandara, in the Lancet report, also added that chronic exposure has been associated with increased oxidative stress and DNA damage and cancer risk.
Additionally, Bandara said, there appears to be evidence for an association between neurodevelopmental or behavioral disorders in children and exposure to wireless devices. Prenatal exposure might cause structural and functional changes in the brain associated with ADHD-like behavior.
Similarly, a group of scientists and researchers has also aired concern over the impending global rollout of 5G, noting that electromagnetic fields or EMF have well-documented negative effects on the not just on the human body, but also the environment. (Related: 5G Danger: Hundreds of respected scientists sound the alarm about health effects as 5G networks go up nationwide)
“Numerous recent scientific publications have shown that EMF affects living organisms at levels well below most international and national guidelines. Effects include increased cancer risk, cellular stress, increase in harmful free radicals, genetic damages, structural and functional changes of the reproductive system, learning and memory deficits, neurological disorders, and negative impacts on general well-being in humans. Damage goes well beyond the human race, as there is growing evidence of harmful effects to both plant and animal life,” the group, led by Elizabeth Kelley of Electromagnetic Safety Alliance Inc., said.
Aside from the recently imposed moratorium, there are currently five proposals for legally binding referendums on 5G use that are in motion in Switzerland. Two of these have already been formalized and now only need to collect 100,000 signatures in order to get onto the official ballot.
The first of the two proposals aims to make telecommunications companies legally liable for any subsequent claims of damage caused by radiation, while the second one proposes strict and stringent limits on radiation emissions, as well as gives local residents the power to veto new antenna and mast constructions in their respective areas.
Links to previous articles
- I Survived Communism. Now, It’s Back, Veiled as ‘Environmentalism’ By Zuzana Janosova-Den Boer, 11 February 2020
- Top NZ Scientist Describes “Global Warming” As Pseudoscience From HumansAreFree.com, 8 February 2020
- Global Warming, meet Creationism By Ian Plimer, The Spectator, March 2020
- ARE YOU READY TO LEAVE THE U.N. AND THEIR AGENDA From The Marshall Report, 27 June 2016
- 7 Major Earth Changes, the real cause for alarmismBy Michael Snyder, Zerohedge, 17 January 2020
- Great Barrier Reef coral testing ‘flawed, needs fix’, says Peter Ridd By Graham Lloyd, The Australian, 2 January 2020
- Great Barrier Reef truth may be inconvenient but it is out there By Professor Peter Ridd, The Australian, 2 January 2020
- Climate Change Alarmism Is A Despicably Anti-Human Ideology From HumansAreFree.com, 28 December 2019
- The dangerous winds of trying to prevent climate change By Duggan Flanakin, Canada Free Press, 26 December 2019
- Is the reef really dying By Greg Bearup, The Australian, 21 December 2019Media panic on climate, bushfires and a vacation The Australian editorial, 19 December 2019
- COP25, an epic cop-out By Damian Wilson, RT.com, 17 December 2019
- The Deliberate Deception to Demonize CO2 By Dr. Tim Ball, Climatologist, 12 December 2019
- Feeding the Fat Green Pigs Published by the Saltbush Club, www.saltbushclub.com. 29 November 2019
- Climate alarmists are brazen opportunists preying on misery By Chris Kenny, The Australian, 21 November 2019
- NZ’s Zero Carbon Bill By Dr Muriel Newman, NZCPR, 26 October 2019
- The madness of Extinction Rebellion By Brendan O’Neill, Spiked Online, 12 October 2019
- Climate activists recruiting child soldiers By Jennifer Oriel, The Australian, 30 September 2019
- Letter to UN, There is no climate emergency There is no climate emergency, 23 September 2019
- Climate change signals part of socialist plot By Maurice Newman, The Australian, 12 July 2019
- Climate activists are the establishment By Nick Cater, Columnist, Spiked, 22 June 2019
- Sciences Untold Scandal,Professional Societies Promote the Climate Change Scare By Tom Harris, Dr Jay Lehr, 27 May 2019
- New Zealand’s Labour Government suicidal Climate Change plans By Dr Muriel Newman, NZCPR.com, 17 May 2019
- Coral can take the heat, unlike experts crying wolf By (Professor) Peter Ridd, The Australian, 26 December 2018
- An ideological mess of monumental proportions By Maurice Newman, The Australian, 6 July 2018
- New Zealand is killing its economy by green zealotry By Dr Muriel Newman, NZCPR Weekly, 27 June 2018
- James Cook University trashes science and ethics By Dr Walter Starck, Quadrant Online, 4 June 2018
- Why, Twenty-One Times Why By Dr Walter Starck, Quadrant Online, 3 May 2018
- Adani opposition ignores reality of world’s energy needs from coal and oil By Julian Tomlinson, The Cairns Post, 8 March 2018
- Chilling fact is most climate change theories are wrong By Maurice Newman, The Australian, 8 March 2018
- Greens show their true colour, red By Jennifer Oriel, The Australian, 12 February 2018
- The inconvenient truth is that catastrophists are wrong By Maurice Newman, The Australian, 17 January 2017
- Progress versus ‘progressives’, Greens have lost the plot By Nick Cater, The Australian, 9 January 2018
- After 30 Years, Alarmists Are Still Predicting A Global Warming ‘Apocalypse’ By Michael Bastasch, 26 November
- Understanding the modern Green movement Two articles: Nick Cater, then Greg Brown, The Australian, 21 November
- Climate change is ‘the biggest scientific fraud ever perpetrated’ By Steven Mosher, 18 October 2017
- Australia’s broadcaster, ABC, is guilty of soft treason By Maurice Newman, The Australian, 23 October 2017
- Abbott’s speech tells it like it is on global warming By John Stone, The Australian, 17 Oct 2017
- Cairns Post editorial, 171012 By Julian Tomlinson, The Cairns Post, 12 October 2017
- Climate evangelists reduce debate to a binary farce The Australian newspaper Editorials, 11 and 12 October 2017
- A common-sense way through the climate conflict By former Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott, form The Australian, 10 October 2017
- Recycling, a guilt-suppressing eco-fad By Nick Cater, The Australian, 3 October 2017
- The poor are carrying the cost of today’s climate policies By Matt Ridley, from The Rational Optimist, 1 October, 2017
- Climate Change Science Implodes By Mike Adams, via HumansAreFree, 23 September 2017
- The Australian Bureau of Meteorology caught cooking the books yet again Maurice Newman, The Australian, 19 September 2017
- Beware Greens’ scaremongering By Ben Pile, Spiked Online, 16 September 2017
- Media’s silence of the climate scams By Maurice Newman, The Australian, 1 August 2017
- Paris climate dreams as India stays real By Gary Johns, The Australian, 14 July 2017
- Cairns Post Editorial, Julian Tomlinson, 170622 Cairns Post Editorial, 22 June 2017
- Western climate change alarmists won’t admit they are wrong By Clive James, The Australian, 3 June 2017
- Cairns Post editorial, 25 May 2017 Julian Tomlinson, Cairns Post, 25 May 2017
- Green lunacies that literally cost the Earth By James Delingpole, The Daily Mail, 20 February 2017
- Is Climate Alarmism Governance at War with the USA By Leo Goldstein, from Watts Up With That website, 11 January 2017
- derailing-the-marrakech-express By Michael Kile, Quadrant Online, 20 November 2016
- finally-warmists-find-a-real-threat By Tony Thomas, Quadrant Online, 15 November 2016
- cp-editorial-on-agw-distortions-011116 – by Andrew Bolt, Going cold on climate science, 1 November 2016
- cp-editorial-271016 By Julian Tomlinson, Cairns Post, 27 October 2016
- bjorn-lomborg-take-those-organic-food-claims-with-a-grain-of-salt By Bjorn Lomborg, The Australian, 16 October 2016
- like-all-cults-climate-alarmism-will-fail-when-its-prophecies-dont-materialise By Peter Campion, 14 September 2016
- Young Heads Filled With Green Mush By Tony Thomas, Quadrant Online, 3 August
- Brexit threatens Climate Gravy train – time for Clexit By Jo Nova, joannenova.com.au/, 3 August 2016
- Golden rice, the miracle crop Greenpeace hates By George Harrison, Spiked Online, 23 July 2016
- A fantasy green-tech future By Nick Cater, The Australian, 19 July 2016
- The Reef’s Self-Serving Saviours By Dr Walter Starck, Quadrant Online, 19 June 2016
- Exaggeration, hyperbole and even lies, by Julian Tomlinson, Cairns Post, 2 June 2016
- How climate and environmental propaganda works By Paul Driesson, Townhall, 3 May
- How Greens kill off industry by stealth By Alan Oxley, Quadrant Online, 31 March
- Are Environmentalism and Global Warming Effectively Religious Socialism By Dr. Tim Ball, 23 February 2016
- The economic costs of excessive environmental legislation By Dr Muriel Newman, NZ Centre for Political Research, 18 February 2016
- Climate change, CSIRO realigns after groupthink fails By Michael Asten, The Australian, 12 February 2016
- Bureau of Meteorology needs to open its records to audit By Maurice Newman, The Australian, 1 February 2016
- http://joannenova.com.au/2016/01/bob-carter-a-great-man-gone-far-too-soon/ Joanne Nova, 21 November 2016
- Chilling climate of UN control By Maurice Newman, The Australian, 28 December
- Paris talks – agreeing to dodge democracy – By Ben Pile, Spiked Online, 19 December
- Ruinous water plan based on environmentalist lies By Ron Pike, Quadrant Online, 18 October 2015
- Global warming zealots blamed for deadly diesel fiasco By Steven Glover, The Daily Mail, 25 September 2015
- Killing people versus cheating EPA regulations From Zerohedge, 22 September 2015
- Oxfam’s real agenda – destroy Australian coal industry By Henry Thomas, Quadrant Online, 14 September 2015
- The Green Scare Problem By Matt Ridley, The Wall Street Journal, 14 August 2015
- Greens destroy world’s wildlife By Christopher Booker, The Telegraph, 7 July 2015
- Greens infiltrate the classroom By Gary Johns, 1 July 2015
- Climate science, the settled careerist variety By Walter Starck
- Why the Left needs climate change By Steven Hayward, Forbes, 13 June 2015
- IPCC is to science is what FIFA is to soccer By Nick Cater, The Australian, 9 June 2015
- Terrible news for climate catastrophists By James Delingpole, 6 June 2015
- 25 years of dud tipping point predictions Michael Bastasch, The Daily Caller, 19 May
- The Greek Orthodox Creed of Warmism By Michael Kile, Quadrant Online, 5 May
- Are you now, or have you ever been, a climate contrarian By Brendan O’Neill, Editor of spiked, 2 May 2015
- Putting the acid on the Great Barrier Reef doomsayers By Patrick Moore, The Australian, 13 April 2015
- Flashback 1971, burning coal will cause ice age By Michael Bastasch, 7 April 2015
- UN, depopulate the planet to combat climate change By Steve Watson, 7 April 2015
- Time to Put Warmists Under Oath By Walter Starck, Quadrant Online, 3 April 2015
- ‘Greens’ plans to return to the Stone Age By Nick Cater, The Australian, 31 March 2015
- Global warming consensus claim fraudulent By Richard Tol, The Australian, 25 March
- When environmentalism becomes a crime against humanity By Ivo Vetger, 18 March
- To be ‘green’ or progressive, you can’t be both By Tim Black, Spiked, 14 Mar 2015
- EPA Chief cannot answer climate questions Editorial, Investors Business Daily, 7 Mar
- GM, the scientific argument is over By Matt Ridley, The Times, 5 Mar 2015
- Montana bill kills UN’s Agenda 21 by KLXF.com, 25 Feb 2015
- The ‘Green Blob’ is threatening lives in Africa By Matthew Holehouse, 24 Feb 2015
- ‘Science’ destroys its own credibility By Garth Paltridge 17 Feb 2015
- The biggest science scandal ever By Christopher Booker, The Telegraph, 7 Feb 2015
- How to make a pyre of the bush by Roger Underwood, Quadrant Online, 8 Feb 2015
- Beware, ‘green’ danger ahead by Andrew Montford, The Spectator, 6 Feb 2015
- The left’s gravy train derailing by Maurice Newman, The Australian